How Joe Gold Saved My Life

Only recently needless to say, the bodybuilding world seen that our dear friend and gym franchise pioneer Joe Gold has departed to the truly amazing big gym in the sky. Joe Gold's contribution to bodybuilding has been extensive. He is the founder of the original Gold's Gym in Venice Beach.

Everyone remembers seeing Arnold Self-Tanner Lou and Frank Zane and most of the greats of the 60s and 70s training at Joe Gold's Gym. Joe also started both franchises Gold's Gym and World Gym both franchises blossomed into worldwide successes. Predicated on these facts alone, Joe has affected lots of people on a big scale. However, everyone who new him could testify that Joe Gold's character was as golden as his name. Joe made an invaluable contribution to the life span of each person that knew him.

Recently, I was flipping via a magazine and I saw a write-up and some photos of all greats getting together to honor Joe Gold after his recent passing. I was moved to learn all of the personal stories of how Joe touched people's lives. Over and over exactly the same theme kept developing; Joe Gold was bodybuilding's real nice guy.

Joe really did see it all or done it all in terms of the activity goes. Early in his career he'd spent time in the May West Muscle Show, did the complete Muscle Beach scene, started a gym, trained the champions and lived the bodybuilding lifestyle. Joe has helped out nearly all the greats in the game but he also affected normal people as well. Actually one particular people was me. Joe Gold saved my life, and this is how it happened.

All of it started long ago in my barn in rural New Brunswick. New Brunswick is a cold from the way province, just above the Maine border. As a new lad there have been no gyms around so I'd to teach in a makeshift gym I had constructed in a barn. I'd stare at the pictures and magazines of muscular he man flexing their muscles on a sandy beach with a California sun beating down. I watched movies like Pumping Iron with Arnold, Ed Corny, Lou Ferrigno and most of the greats training in Gold's Gym and I dreamed that certain day I too could train there.

Powered by Blogger.